NLOG4J version 1.2.25
You can download NLOG4J version 1.2.25, with native SLF4J
support, including full source code, class files and
NLOG4J is a production-quality log4j-replacement with
direct SLF4J API support. NLOG4J is maintained by Ceki
Gülcü, the founder of the log4j project. For
details about how nlog4j differs from log4j please refer to
the changes document.
Please note that all new development effort
in NLOG4J is now redirected into LOGBack, a sucessor for
log4j and NLOG4J.
Previous versions of NLOG4J
Previous versions of SLF4J can be downloaded from the main repository.
Log4j version 1.2.9 is identical to version 1.2.8, except
that several key methods have been deprecated in preparation
for version 1.3.0, the next major release of log4j. These
changes are intended to enforce the rule that client code
should never refer to the
directly, but use the
instead. Similarly, client code should not refer to the
Priority class but to the
See the document entitled preparing
for log4j 1.3 for a more detailed discussion.
log4j version 1.3 (alpha)
An alpha version of log4j version 1.3 has been recently
made available. As the alpha prefix indicates, this release
is still being tested, future versions may bring further
radical changes, and all the usual caveats apply.
Third-party extensions (listed in alphabetical order)
- Chainsaw v2 (NEW!)
- A new and improved version of the venerable Chainsaw
utility, now being written by the log4j development team is
getting closer to release. You can see screen shots of it and
install it and run over here
DatedFileAppender works in the same manner as
the Tomcat FileLogger. Contrary to
DailyRollingFileAppender shipping with log4j, log
file names generated by
contain today's date. While this distinction seems minor, it
means you can reliably copy, compress, remove or manipulate a
day's log file shortly after midnight. With the
DailyRollingFileAppender, a day's log file is not
renamed until the first message is logged some time after
- A powerful
JDBCAppender by Danko Mannhaupt
who continues the work of Thomas Fenner. You might find
this JDBCAppender more suitable then the one that ships with
- Just4Log is a library to enhance dynamically the
performance of various logging systems inside a java
application. Dynamically because the sourcecode in java is not
modified but rather the optimization occurs on the compiled
- log4Ant includes a complete bridge to the Log4J logging systemfor a robust build monitoring system.
These Ant components let you capture, map, and send Ant log messages and stdio output through your Log4J installation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Log4J400 includes MessageQueue and DataQueue Appenders for
the AS/400 (aka IBM iSeries).
- This Project provides a set of EJBs to store Log4J events
(received via JMS appender) in a database. The main aim is to
provide a toolset for a centralized, data-center suitable
- Log4Unit is a JUnit extension
combining JUnit with Log4J. The intention is to create test
protocols for JUnit.
JUnit is asymmetrical in the sense that it focusses on the
documentation of test failures and errors. Successful
execution of a test case is not further documented. In order
to obtain a test protocol that documents the initial settings,
the test case execution and its results, a logging component
is required. Log4J as the current de facto standard is
selected for this extension.
- Log4Web (commercial)
- Log4Web is a J2EE web application, designed to web-enable
system log files that have been generated by log4j.
- A custom log tag library from the Jakarta
- LogWeb is a web interface for configuring log4j at runtime
within a servlet container. Every log4j feature of is
configurable through this interface.
- An appender to send formatted logging event strings to a
specified managment host (typically, a MLM of some sort, but
could also be an SNMP management console) in the form of an
- Log view and analysis application which enables web
browsing and analysis over logs.
Ports to other languages (listed in alphabetical order within each section)
Fellow Apache Logging Services Projects
- Log4cxx is a port to C++ of the log4j project.
- The .NET implementation of the popular log4j Java API
providing flexible and arbitrarily granular control over log
management and configuration.
- Log4Php is a PHP port of log4j framework. It supports xml configuration,
logging to files, stdout/err, syslog, socket, configurable
output layouts and logging levels.
- ANSI C functions and macros for flexible logging to files
and other destinations. It is modeled after log4j. It follows
the log4j API within the limits of reason. Intended for use in time-space
- A library of C++ classes for flexible logging to files,
syslog, IDSA and other destinations modeled after log4j.
- Log4cplus is a simple to use C++ logging API providing
thread-safe, flexible, and arbitrarily granular control over
log management and configuration. It is modeled after the Java
- D is a new programming language conceived as a re-engineering of C and C++.
package supports all the major log4j features.
- The Goanna project (Eiffel Web Services) now includes
log4E, a complete port of log4j.
- Log::Log4perl is a Perl port of log4j by Kevin Goess and
Mike Schilli. The authors made sure that their port was as
close as possible to the original implementation. Even the
configuration files are similar! The project is still being
enhanced, however the current release is stable and has been
released to CPAN.
- Log4LS is a LotusScript library package and is used to get
logging statements to a Domino database, sent by mail or
written to a file. It is modeled after Jakarta log4j.
- Log4Py is a python logging module similar to log4j. It
supports logging to files or to stdout/stderr, variable
log-levels, configurable output formats and configuration via
- Another Python translation of log4j. This project no
longer seems to be maintained.
- Log4plsql is a Oracle PL/SQL logging module similar to
log4j. It supports logging out-off transaction. It is useful
for logging, benchmarking and monitoring PL/SQL applications.
- Qmmslog is a port of log4j to the Qt/C++ platform.
- A Powerful Logger for Ruby.
Log4r features an extremely flexible logging library for
Ruby. Killer features include a heiarchial logging system
of any number of levels, logger inheritance, multiple
output destinations, tracing, custom formatting and more.
Log4r was inspired by log4j. Log4r provides the defining
features of log4j and some of its own features that just
might make log4j users envious.
If you would like your software to be listed here, then send a note to the email@example.com